Few areas of law are as emotionally taxing as family law and, in particular, divorce law. As a compassionate and experienced divorce lawyer, I will guide you through the process of obtaining a divorce and will assist you in setting realistic goals and expectations.
Examples of family law matters I handle include:
- Divorce (Also known as Dissolution Of Marriage)
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Property Distribution
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Complex Custody and Move-Away Cases
- Debt Division
- High Net-Worth Divorce
- Restraining Orders
- Spousal Support (Also known as Maintenance)
- Modification of Custody, Child Support, and Maintenance Orders
In Montana, a divorce is referred to as a “dissolution of marriage.” Prior to entering a “Decree of Dissolution” (a court order that ends your marriage), a number of issues will have to be decided by the court. Those issues can include the following:
- How will your property and debts be divided?
- If there are children, how will residential time be divided between the parents?
- Who will remain in the family home?
- Will you get to keep your retirement account?
- Will your spouse be required to divide his or her retirement account with you?
- Will spousal maintenance (alimony) be required?
These issues can be decided by the court after a trial or the issues can be decided by parties through settlement agreements. It is possible to settle some issues and to go to trial on others. Every case is different, and you should select an attorney with the knowledge and experience to handle cases involving child support, spousal maintenance, contested child custody, business valuations in Flathead County and the surrounding areas.